Thursday, June 16, 2011

Booking Through Thursday

With the advent and growing popularity of ebooks, I'm seeing more and more articles about how much "better" they can be because they have the option to be interactive..videos, music, glossaries..all sorts of little extra goodies to help "enhance" your reading experience, rather like listening to the directors commentary on a DVD of your favorite movie.  How do you feel about that possibility?  Does it excite you in a cutting edge kind of way? Or does it chill you to the bone because that is not what reading is all about?

I purchased a first generation Nook to help relieve my ever-bulging bookshelves because I cannot, apparently, do anything about my insane book shopping habits and library real estate in this house is at a premium.  My thought process was that if I bought an ebook and really, really liked it, I would purchase a hard copy (on sale or used) for my library.  This has generally worked for me except I am drawn like a moth to the candle to the sale tables at B&N and there just doesn't seem to be anything I can do about it.  At least they are on sale.  Whatever.  I digress.  In any event, I have never used any of the "extras" on the Nook except the word look up -- twice.  I have never listened to music on it, played games on it and the web browser is more trouble than it is worth.

I also purchased a Nook Color to use as a tablet -- definitely not a reader because it doesn't have e-ink pages and it is like reading a computer screen and for those of us who like to read for hours on end -- that isn't really good.  I have tried to read on it and ended up with a dreadful headache and so much eye strain I thought my eyes were going to pop out of my head.  It is good for "Angry Birds" however.

The new Simple Reader from Nook is, in my opinion, a great option for those who just want an e-reader to-----read! It is smaller, quite light weight and of a size that can be held easily or carried in a purse or bag without adding unnecessary weight.  The battery life is improved as well.  In this format, I just see the e-reader as another book -- a collection of books so to speak.

Does the idea of e-readers "chill me to the bone"?  No, of course not because everybody's reading experience is different.  I do, however,  think of reading as an escape from a hectic, electronically charged world and while it sounds redundant to use an e-reader to escape our hectic world, I think that if it is used without all the added goodies, it is no different than a book except that you aren't going to have to buy more bookcases.

5 comments:

Jane and Chris said...

I vowed never to get an e reader (see, I don't even know what they are called). Ever since I was a small child I have been enchanted by books. I dreamed of going into a library in my own home,running my fingers along the books as I looked for the next one to read.I love the look of a real book, the feel of a real book, I just love books. I love to read books, yes, but there is something so special about the book itself that I don't think could ever use an e reader.
Jane x

Boyett-Brinkley said...

I still buy and read tangible books. One of the greatest times of my life was going to the library and I still remember the thrill of the day that I got my first library card. There was nothing like going to the library on a cold, rainy autumn day. To me, the e-reader is a gadget and will never replace real books.

jlshall said...

When I first got the iPad I went a little crazy, loading it up with free (or almost free) books from Amazon. Of course, I've only read two or three of all those dozens I downloaded. I just really like reading books more than computer screens, I guess. Maybe I should try a Nook or a Kindle or something that would be more book-like.

Angry birds?

Gigi Ann said...

I haven't entered the eReader world yet, although I'm sure someday I may try one. I'm still a lover of real books, so I guess it will be a while before I make the change.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Joy -- I will say that the e-ink used in the Nook and the Kindle make it easier to read than the NookColor which is backlit and looks more like a computer screen. I tried reading on it and wanted to scream -- the eye strain was wicked. I can read on the Nook for hours, however. I still like real books, though, and still buy them. If I had to choose between real books and e-books there would be no contest but I do think it is nice to be able to adjust the font size of the text.

Angry birds is a video game where you try to kill green pigs with these weird birds that you propel through the sky via a slingshot. Very annoying and frustrating yet I had to try. I am not a good pig killer -- maybe if I was using something other than a bird????

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...