Friday, June 03, 2011

Friday Fill-ins and Heaven is for Real:  A Little Boy's Astounding Story of his Trip to Heaven and Back by Todd Burpo.


First -- Friday Fill-ins

1.  Hey! You, get off my cloud!
2.  That statement doesn't contain one kernel of truth.
3.  eat healthy
4.  the oldest, the youngest and the one in the middle
5.  First thing to note:  list making is a virtue
6.  Facebook is an unnecessary distraction
7And as for the weekend, tonight I'm looking forward to pizza and a movie, tomorrow my plans include nothing special and Sunday, I want to celebrate the Hubs b/d with the family.


Book Review

First off -- I don't make a habit of reading stuff about sick/dying/hurt/murdered/kidnapped/ or in any way harmed children -- I just don't find it entertaining and, unless I am reading for knowledge, reading is sheer entertainment for me.  So, I held on to the book  about Colton Burpo for a long time.  It wanted to read it because it discussed his near death experience but for him to have had a NDE, he  would have had to be in harms way and I just wasn't ready for that sort of reading.  However, because I am part of a reading challenge and because I wanted to chisel away at my ever growing Nook library, I decided to give it a go knowing I could stop if it became too much for me to handle. 

I was hooked from the first page.  It is a lovely story of the faith of a child, which we should all have, the faith of his parents in the midst of all their human frailities and the love of God.  It is a story of modern day miracles.  I was particularly interested in this book because of my own mother's NDE.  She told us that something "happened" to her during one of her hospitalizations and she didn't want to talk about it but she just knew that she would never be afraid of dying.  I was reading this book to get a glimpse of what she  might have experienced.  If this is what happened then it was a glorious experience for her to have.

I would recommend this book to anyone -- anybody who has had any involvement with a near death experience would enjoy reading of a little boy who took his experience into stride and explained it in the simpliest, most beautiful words. A believer will just shake his/her head saying "yes, that is what I believe" and a non-believer might start questioning his stand on things.  Wherever you are, it is definitely a beautiful story.

3 comments:

jlshall said...

Around here,list making isn't just a virtue - it's an absolute requirement for getting through the day. I make lists of the lists I need to make.

Pizza and a movie sounds like a great idea. And I hope ya'll have fun with the birthday celebration. Are you having a big party? For some reason, I always think your hubby's birthday is in the fall even though I know it's not.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Yes, I am a firm believer in lists -- except for some reason, I can't bring myself to make a grocery list or record my calorie intake anymore -- did that for too many years, I guess.

No, no big party. Lunch tomorrow with the kids and MIL. Of course, when you start adding it up, that does constitute a good size group but nothing really special.

Belgie said...

I believe in Heaven, but I don't know if I believe that people can know what's in Heaven before we go there ourselves for good. If you're a Christian who believes in miracles and likes happy endings, "Heaven is for Real" is a good read. If you're not a Christian but like reading about unexplainable-by-science recoveries and don't mind strong Christian overtones, this book isn't a bad read. It's fast--you could read it from cover to cover in 12 hours or less. As for me? I'm giving the book to my mother, who's a sucker for this kind of story. She'll like it much better than I did, if only because she actually believes it already.

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...