Sunday, September 18, 2011

A Different Sort of Sunday

Today was a different sort of Sunday. It was unusually quiet and slow -- something I am not used to -- and it has been the laziest day I have had in a long, long while.

It started out with me waking up much earlier than I had intended and, true to form, I couldn't go back to sleep so I got up, made my tea and toast, and had my breakfast on the patio.  It was just cool enough and just dawn enough to be really pleasant.

We had made plans to attend an earlier church service because it fit in better with the Bean's new long-afternoon-nap schedule so we set off to church at 8:30 instead of 10:30.  I wasn't sure how I was going to like it because our earlier service is Rite 2 rather than Rite 1 and I am used to Rite 1.  It didn't much matter at all because I spent the hour, except for Communion in the nursery.  Bean has only been to the nursery once and, that one time, even though I stayed with her so her Mama could go to church, the separation anxiety was a bit much for all of us.  She was there for a little while and tried to get interested in what was going on but she sat on my lap and sniffled and finally just melted into a puddle of misery.  Fortunately, Mama was quick to arrive to get us for Communion and she was fine.  That has been a while ago so Mama decided to try again today.  It was a totally different situation -- when they walked in Bean tried to cry but Mama stayed with her for a while.  When I showed up I told Mama to go to church and I would stay with the Bean.  Mama really likes church and it has been a while since she has been able to sit through an uninterrupted church service.  The Bean is too little and yet too big and too wiggly to sit through a service quietly -- she is a girl on the go and would rather run than walk and she was much happier in the nursery.  It was different today because she didn't melt down, she did play with the toys and make herself at home and even though she was the only girl in the room with four boys she didn't back down -- when a scuffle ensued between two of the older boys -- approximately four years of age, she got right in the middle of it -- she wasn't fighting, she just got literally in the middle and, in essence, stopped the fight because they didn't know why the girl was getting in their way.  It was a very interesting situation to observe -- she did well with her second visit to the nursery.  We will try again next week.

Of course, getting out of church two hours earlier than usual completely threw me off course.  I kept thinking it was getting close to three when it was really just noon.  I thought  I would get a lot done because I had so much time but all that really happened was I got a headache and sat most of the afternoon.  I did get a couple of kitchen drawers cleaned out and my kitchen towels sorted and re-arranged.  I hope I can remember where I put everything!

This evening we decided to go the our local Barnes and Noble to browse.  I am sort of on a moratorium from magazine buying.  I culled all my cross stitch mags a few months ago and immediately recognized the error of my ways as the recycling truck picked them up so I tried to restock, swearing to never throw another magazine away again.  Well, that is all fine and good but I need to put them someplace besides where they are which is everywhere.  That may happen tomorrow - we will see.  I bought nothing at the bookstore which is strange for me.  I was looking for cross stitch reading material but all they had were British magazines which are gorgeous to look at but really expensive.  So, I passed those by.  Oh well, maybe I will find I don't need any more when I go through what I have.

So, now we are going to watch a movie.  Nice quiet end to a pleasantly long day.   I hope everybody else's was as nice.




 

No comments:

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...