Wednesday, January 02, 2013



The Bobbsey Twins

I have decided on my first book for the classic children's books challenge that I signed up for after saying I wouldn't.  I have decided to read the first book in The Bobbsey Twin series which was originally published in 1904.  I won't go through the whole series because there are 72 books and a number of them were originally published after the required date cut-off of 1960.  However, the last Bobbsey Twin book that I ever bought was The Bobbsey Twins Go To London Tower and it was published in 1959 so I will probably re-read it.  I remember when it was purchased.  My mother was Christmas shopping -- for me, I might add-- at Toudouze Market in San Antonio and I found the book and wanted it.  She asked if I wanted it for Christmas or right then  and I remember looking at her as if she were speaking in a foreign tongue -- I wanted it right then and I wanted to read it right then, in the store.  In fact, I had the thing half read before we ever got home from that shopping excursion.  I was a voracious reader at age 9.  I remember enjoying all the Bobbsey Twin books that I read and, so far, I am enjoying this one.

I will return with a review after I am done.  I doubt many of my bloggy friends will be too interested in my reading children's  books but I am such a sucker for them that I really couldn't pass up the challenge.  I read many children's books, on a daily basis, to Bean -- Granddaughter the Second.  None of them fill the challenge requirement because they are too short (must be at least 60 pages) but I do have my favorites and maybe I will start doing reviews on those!

At any rate, this is my first choice.  I have loaded it on my Nook and have already begun to read. If I really like it, I will probably head to my local antique mall and try to find a copy -- they have a huge children's book section so it isn't out of the realm of possibility.   What a contrast -- Judi Dench and The Bobbsey Twins!  Nobody can accuse me of not being diverse.

More later as I progress with this challenge.


No comments:

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...