Monday, June 17, 2013

MusingMondays5Musing Mondays asks you to muse about one of the following each week…
• Describe one of your reading habits.
• Tell us what book(s) you recently bought for yourself or someone else, and why you chose that/those book(s).
• What book are you currently desperate to get your hands on? Tell us about it! 
• Tell us what you’re reading right now — what you think of it, so far; why you chose it; what you are (or, aren’t) enjoying it.
• Do you have a bookish rant? Something about books or reading (or the industry) that gets your ire up? Share it with us!
• Instead of the above questions, maybe you just want to ramble on about something else pertaining to books — let’s hear it, then!


I recently bought Imitation of Life, The Secret of the Old Clock, and A Village Christmas.  I was pretty desperate to acquire Imitation of Life so, when I couldn't find it locally and actually wanted a physical book, I ordered it.  I haven't started it yet but am anxious to. 

I had to  hunt down A Village Christmas as well but managed to do so and that is what I am reading now.  This is the first book in the Hamish Macbeth mystery series by M. C. Beaton and, even though I listened to another title in the series on audio book and enjoyed it but I like to read a series in order of publication even though it might start with a Christmas book in the middle of summer!

I am also participating in a childrens book challenge requiring me to read books published prior to 1960.  When I was in elementary school, we were issued a required reading list at the beginning of the year and a due date for four book reports.  We could choose whatever books interested us off the list and I even had my favorite authors back then -- Lois Lenski, Kate Seredy, Laura Ingalls Wilder, etc.  I tried to enjoy the Nancy Drew series but I didn't so I thought I would give it a go for this challenge and since I have to start a series at the beginning (bit OCD maybe?) I acquired the first in the series -- The Secret of the Old Clock.  I haven't started it yet but since it looks like we have a long rainy day ahead of us, I might get a whole lot of reading done.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys when I was a kid. The Bobbsy Twins were my favotite! Happy reading. Here is my MM
http://cynthia2729.wordpress.com/2013/06/17/musing-mondays-june-17/

Kwizgiver said...

I used to love the Nancy Drew books, too! What a fun way to spend a rainy afternoon.

Thanks for visiting my Musing!

DoingDewey said...

I also refuse to start a series in the middle :) I think it's fun that you're reading older books, but it does seem like they could be challenging to find.

Unknown said...

That sounds like a really fun challenge :)

http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2013/06/musing-mondays_17.html

caite said...

Imitation of Life.. a true classic. so of course you would have to go online to find it! lol

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Caite -- of course!

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...