Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Learning to Scan -- finally


A number of years ago we had a lovely photo scanner/printer.  Then we changed operating systems and my lovely photo scanner/printer no longer worked.  So, we went out and purchased a scanner/printer that would play nice with Linux and it is very nice but it won't print photos well.  That stands to reason since it isn't a photo printer -- duh, Melissa!

Ok, it has taken me all this time to figure out that it might not print out the photos but it most certainly will scan them in and very well, I might add.  I kept asking the Hubs to do something so that I could post old photos to my blog, Ancestry.com, and Facebook.  His answer was for him to photograph the photographs and then download them.  That works but it requires him to actually do it and therein lies the problem.

A couple of weeks ago I was whining discussing the issue with him and voila! he sat down and figured out how to use the scanning option of the machine.  Of course, we knew how to scan, we have been scanning documents for ages but not photos.  So, after about an hour he has figured out how to scan and crop and save in Shotwell.

The real challenge was teaching me how to do it.  So, armed with a yellow pad to write down the steps I was ready.  However, he really needs to get over his over reaction when I touch the mouse.  It really freaks him out because he says I just push buttons willy nilly when all I have done is put my hand on the mouse.  We aren't particularly compatible when it comes to computers. It is a good thing we met and married before home computers were available otherwise I have no idea what might have happened. Anyway, I digress.

So, after a bit of fiddling around I managed to scan in and tag a half dozen photos and think I can actually do it myself but we shall see.  I will try a few more this evening.

But, in honor of me mastering scanning (gag!) I would like to introduce my parents.  Aaron P. Boyett on the left and Alma Elizabeth Davis on the right.  Both were born in San Antonio, Texas in 1923.



4 comments:

Penhallow Street said...

I would love to see a wedding photo of them along with the baby photos because they very much look the future "Mr. and Mrs." And kudos on learning to scan the family photos--computers and their ilk can be frustrating, but the end results are worth it.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

I do have a wedding photo and I will scan it. I am really enjoying being able to put the old photos up again and my neices and nephew are enjoying seeing photos on Facebook of their Texas family that they have never known. I was also able to share photos of my best friend in kindergarten with her daughters. They lost her about 20 years ago and I found them through facebook and was able to share these pics with them.

Gill - That British Woman said...

We bought one of those all in one printers, scanners do everything units and after a few tries I think I may have it down pat. Pretty pleased with ours, plus it's wireless as well.

Glad you got the hang of it as well.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Gill -- wireless is good! If this one ever needs to be replaced that is what I will look for. This has worked very well once we sat down and decided to figure it out. My poor husband isn't "into" the same things I am, like blogs and facebook and such so he isn't much interested in messing about with the photos. However, I guess I bothered him enough about it so he finally decided to take the time and now I am happy so he probably is too!

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...