Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Thread -- Yes, It Does Make A Difference


I did a bit of online shopping the other day -- a movie and some thread.  I know, I live walking distance from Joann Fabrics but I was introduced to a thread that I wanted to try for English Paper Piecing.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I was giving EPP a try and had been surfing the net looking at blogs about the technique.  I ran across Flossie Teacakes which is a wonderful blog about EPP.  The entry that I happened on was about thread.  Florence (aka Flossie) was recommending a particular thread that, quite honestly, I had never seen before so, since I was shopping online anyway, I thought I would give it a go.

So, day before yesterday this big box came--


It was filled with this --


There was nothing in the paper so I looked in the box and there was this --





Yes, one spool of thread in that great big box with all that packing material.  It made me smile-- I don't know why.  In retrospect, I wish I had ordered the larger spool because the difference in price wasn't all that great and I have a feeling this will be my go-to hand sewing thread from now on.

I purchased the thread in the silver shade as Flossie suggested the light grey would probably work well with most things and I think she is right.  The thing about EPP is that I don't like the idea of having to change color threads so much as I like doing the piecing in the evening in my comfy chair and I don't care to have to schlep all different colors of thread around with me so one would do nicely.

This morning I gave it a go.  I apologize for my not so stellar photos -- I tend to shake a bit and when trying to get up close -- well, it just doesn't work so well.  However, here are some of the photos.

This one is done with a regular sewing thread and a regular sharp needle.

back--duh

front--double duh
It is not too bad but the stitches are more visible than I would like.  The next two photos are done with the new thread and a regular needle.




The stitches are almost invisible.  Yes, it did make it better using lavender fabric-- I didn't really think of that when I decided to do a test run -- I will post more photos on different fabric -- but the point is the thread is so fine that I think it would do with almost any color.  I am thrilled.

The only thing that would make it even better, I think, is to use a finer needle, like a milliner's needle which I am off to procure!  I really enjoy EPP but I think with this thread and finer needles, it will be even better.  I will update.

Thank you Flossie!

No comments:

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...