Wednesday, January 07, 2015







I Love Picture Books 2015


I love this challenge.  I love childrens books.  I love picture books mostly because I like the art.  This is going to be very easy for me because I babysit my 4 year old granddaughter and we read all the time.  Many of these books come from her stash.

In the last couple of days I have read one of her favorites from the library which is now in her personal library as it was a Christmas gift from us and then one from her parents as a Christmas gift.

The first book that I read was "Anatole" by Eve Titus.





It is the story of a very enterprising mouse with a family to care for and how he did well for himself.  It is an ingenious little plot, a bit different than I have read before, and it was enjoyable.  I recommend.

The second is "High Street" by Alice Melvin.





This is the story of a little girl, Sally, with a shopping list who goes to High Street to make her purchases.  The art work is lovely and each time she gets to a shop on High Street, a page opens so that you can see the inside of the shop.  It is really cute and interactive and there are so many things to see in the shops! This book is quintessentially British and is the third book by British children's author Alice Melvin.  I haven't read the other two but reviews say they are delightful as well. My granddaughter has a British father so she is exposed to lots of British children's literature ("The Gruffalo" comes to mind immediately) which, I feel, accounts for her rather extensive vocabulary and her hybrid accent.  Have you ever heard a British/Texas accent?  She can make "y'all" sound posh.  I digress.

Anyway, if you are in the market for picture books to read for yourself, a child, or to collect, I would recommend these as they are very entertaining, even for the adults.




1 comment:

Penhallow Street said...

Some of life's greatest lessons, I've learned from children's books. How wonderful you read your grandchild books-it's a time that will be remembered.

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...