Friday, January 02, 2015







The Giver by Lois Lowry


I just finished my first book of the new year -- for the Newbery reading challenge.  I chose "The Giver" by Lois Lowry.  It is a children's dystopian novel.  It is my understanding that this book is given to youngsters in approximately the 5th grade to read.  I have never believed in book banning and I don't believe in censorship -- I never really stopped my children from reading whatever they wanted but if a teacher told me that my 5th grader was required to read this book, I would be challenging the teacher for sure.  At age 11, I would not have been able to handle this -- no wonder a large proportion of our children are depressed if this is what they are reading.

I have read adult dystopian novels like "Anthem" and "The Handmaid's Tale" -- even "The Lottery" and they have always been disturbing and depressing.  I was hoping this one would be different.  While it had a relatively positive ending it was just yucky - well written but yucky. 

If a person was looking for this type of book, I would recommend it -- it is well written but for me -- I am moving on to my next Aunt Dimity novel.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on all of the above. Nancy T. Atherton is a top favourite any day and belongs to both of the challenges you're in with me! :-) I certainly agree there's a difference between censorship, for the purpose of controling a nation's information, versus objecting what your child reads. I have observed myself that some genres are just not for me; at least in literary form. I don't care how well-written or avant-garde they are. Enjoyment is the decider, isn't it!? I tried Ray Bradbury science fiction and found it BLEAK.

The bizarre thing is that television and film-wise, I am a Trekkie! I find the visual forms positive, even uplifting, and hilarious. I wonder if that's what the actor contributes, versus the scenario only. One might consider the grimmest elements of "Lord Of The Rings" / "Hobbit" dystopian and yet on screen it is magical and grand. I can read fantasy with pleasure, I can watch science fiction but your warning about dystopia will be heeded.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Carolyn -- I like reading a variety of books but these weird dystopian things just disturb me. I don't think I will be reading anymore of them.

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...