Thursday, August 06, 2015

Allen, Allen, How Does Your Garden Grow?

Well, that is a complicated question.  Which garden are you speaking of? Perhaps this unruly, overgrown example of what NOT to do when landscaping?


The Dewberry and Mystery Vine creeping up the Folly
The Hawthorn being eaten by that lovely creeping Asian shrub -- can't remember the name
Nandinas
Well, Allen has been spending the summer -- the entire summer -- in an effort to remedy the situation.  He has a deep tan which he has never had being a redhead and all and I think he has permanently injured his right elbow digging up stumps and pulling out roots.  No, I haven't helped him.  My job is to just get out of the way and make iced tea.

So, after many weeks of grueling labor and almost 100 lawn clipping bags put out for pickup this is the end result~


New Redbud tree to replace the broken Hackberry

Asiatic Jasmine everywhere


now you can see the boulders and the hollies

bags of clippings all gone

the mint bed under control
Arlo in his much sturdier new home


Vast improvement, don't you think?




4 comments:

Frugally challenged said...

Oh, wow! What a transformation! I might even show Jack.

Jane and Chris said...

WOW! Did you take a flame thrower to it?!
That was a lot of work...let's hope the new plantings behave themselves.
Jane x

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Mary -- oh yes, it is and a welcome one! Now he is tackling the front of the house but that area is much smaller. He took out about a dozen hawthorns and is replacing it with the jasmine as well. He is almost done and I will post photos of that as well. I just hope we don't have to put him in traction!

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Jane, I think that would have been easier. I am hoping the jasmine takes over quickly, gives a nice home to the little garden snake we have and a lot less work for us. I use the word "us" very, very loosely. I am so pleased with it I could squeal!

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...