Tuesday, April 12, 2016

A Vintage Affair by Isabel Wolff




A few days ago I was scrolling through the offerings on my Nook and ran across this book.  I had started it a couple of times but somehow got distracted and never got very far.  As I am trying to read down some of the books on my device I decided to start at the top as they are arranged alphabetically and what do you know, this book was at the top so I decided to give it a go.

I guess the time was right because it grabbed me immediately and I couldn't put it down.

It is the story of Phoebe Swift and her friend Emma.  They met as children and grew up together -- their lives would be forever intertwined and the events that occurred made up the central focus of the novel.  However, there were several subplots -- all as developed as the central plot -- and all of them captivating.

It was phenomenal how this book flowed -- there were no glitches or awkward segues between the storylines, nothing was contrived.  It was lovely.

It would be too involved to go into the story itself but it is definitely one of the best books I have read in a long time.  The subject matter was gripping, there was humor and sadness and gladness and scenery.  And there was the little blue coat.

I would definitely recommend this book.  I am just not sure why it took me so long to read it.

4 comments:

Pom Pom said...

Thank you for a good recommendation! You are good at book reviews!

Boyett-Brinkley said...

You are very welcome! It was a wonderful read.

Pom Pom said...

Hi BB! I ordered A Vintage Affair and it came. I'm excited to read it. I bought A Woman of Substance for my Kindle. I read too many books at once but I like having lots of choices! Happy Friday, friend!

Boyett-Brinkley said...

I think you will enjoy it, Pom Pom! It is not without it's drama for sure but it was so good. I also loved "A Woman of Substance". I saw the movie first, fell madly in love with Liam Neeson and then went on to read the book. It was fabulous. You are going to be in a good reading place!

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...