Saturday, April 09, 2016

Simple Living Challenge

Today is the first day of my Simple Living Challenge hosted by Jenn at ADailyRhythm.com.  My plan is different that hers slightly but reading over hers I think she has some good ideas, mostly in the form of housekeeping.

So, my goals are:

1.  Putting spiritual things first -- the first little while of my day will be spent with tea and The Word.  I have done this this morning already and I feel good about it.  Since I have never read the Bible all the way through I decided to start at the logical start place -- Genesis.  I am reading a few chapters at a time in an easy to read format -- Women's Devotional Bible by Zondervan.  I am not striving for a goal of a certain amount per day -- just reading until it feels right.

2.  Exercise.  I am aiming for 30 minutes of dedicated exercise a day.  I have already ridden my exercise bike for 30 minutes this morning and hopefully I will feel more energized over the course of the day.

3.  Less noise pollution.  The tv has yet to come on.

4.  Food -- eating intuitively.  I am going to purchase the books suggested by Jenn (for some reason I think I have one of them but can't find it -- maybe I need to KonMarie my books!)  Anyway, I am going to start studying them.  However, yesterday I said I was going to eat three meals a day with no snacks.  I am going to change that and allow a mid morning something to go with tea.  I can do fine from lunch to supper but I get up so early that I almost always need a little break -- hopefully something healthy.  I started thinking about kindergarten and we always got a snack in kindergarten -- even just half day kinder so I am thinking something small with my mid-morning cuppa will be ok if I am mindful.

5.  Domestic issues -- I have been looking at Jenn's organization of her chores and I am thinking about mine.  I will continue to do laundry on a daily basis -- I absolutely have to do that in order to keep up with it.  My husband seems to change his clothes A LOT! And the kitchen is an ever ongoing project but that is ok -- I would rather be on top of it.   The rest of it -- well, I think I am over thinking the whole thing.  I am going to pick a day to do each chore -- bathrooms, dust, and vacuum.  Vacuuming is my least favorite thing to do so I think I will do it on Friday to be ready for anybody who might drop by on the weekend. Bathrooms on Friday as well.  I live in Texas and we could dust every hour on the hour but I think I will choose to do it another day -- maybe Wednesday.

6.  Grocery shopping -- I believe I will grocery shop for the week on Monday.  I remember my mother liking to go on Monday because they were stocking fresh for the week or on Friday but I think I will try Monday on to see if it works ok for me.

Ok, so that is my new plan.  Now I have to figure out a way to be accountable without boring everybody with a post about whether I clean the bathroom or not.  Maybe a side bar.  I have purchased a new planner that will be here soon and I will probably just keep track of things there and report in here each Saturday.

Anyway, I have begun and actually, the two most important things to me have been accomplished already today so I would say I have done ok and off to a good start.  Hopefully I can keep it up!

By the way -- I had a lovely simple dinner last night and my husband actually liked it.  I grilled two little New York strip steaks on my new cast iron grill plan, made a salad and roasted some new potatoes.  It was good and didn't take long at all to do so that was a win as well.  Tonight I am off to the Girl Scout sleep over and he is on his own.  Hahah! He will be eating out I am sure.


5 comments:

Pom Pom said...

I think YOU are awesome, BB, but I'm glad it's you doing this and not me. It might be my "easily distracted/easily bored" characteristic at play but doing the same thing every day makes me feel like my head will explode.
I HAVE been working on my Rule of Life and it's more rhythmic and flexible than any kind of "plan" I've ever had before. I'm making a big board and I'll share some of it on my blog soon. It's more personal than I realized so I'm going to be careful what I share, but the concept/idea is fascinating and challenging.
Just from reading your blog, I think you are already much more "together" than the average bear.

JLS Hall said...

#3 - Good for you! M and I have always had a pretty serious rule about not having the TV on until evening. When I was growing up, the TV was on all day every day -- sometimes round the clock. And it used to drive me nuts.

#4 - You know, studies have shown that snacks are very good (some say essential) for helping you stay on a healthy diet. And now they're saying you should try to get more of your calories by mid-day. So a mid-morning snack actually makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately, I usually end up eating breakfast so late, it's almost time for lunch by the time I'm done with the morning coffee! I guess that means breakfast is my mid-morning snack.

#5 - Yes, what is it with husbands and changing clothes? Michael seems to wear four or five different T-shirts per day -- all of them black!

#6 - I HATE grocery shopping. I could very happily have all my groceries delivered -- wouldn't mind paying the delivery fees. But I could never convince the hubs to try it. However, having a designated day for doing the shopping does seem to make it less of a hassle. I need to start doing that again.

I like your plan, even though I figure it wouldn't work for me. As we know, you're MUCH more organized than I am. Why didn't I get those genes?

Pom Pom said...

Back again, BB! I meant to say that the EC planners are pretty cool. Our daughter uses one. I hope you had fun being a Girl Scout!

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Pom Pom -- Aww, thank you! I am looking forward to getting a glimpse of your life plan. So far my plan is going reasonably well. I am sure there will be tweaking but that is ok -- I mean, today has already been altered by the Hubs -- we have to go buy a new power cord for my computer so there you go!

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Joanie -- well, if you read today's post you can see how well it has worked so far but at least it is a goal. As far as the tv goes -- yes, it was on ALL the time at my house when Daddy was at home and then, when he started cartooning and was there all the time it was constant. I am really liking the quiet. As far as Hubs laundry goes -- I think it multiplies in the night -- he changes his clothes at least twice a day. He would be happy to do it himself and has but he waits until everything is dirty, tries to wash it all at one time then puts it in a laundry basket and gets dressed out of that -- he never puts the clothes away and I just can't handle that and that is why I do the laundry like I do. The grocery shopping thing must be genetic -- I really don't like it -- at all. I would order as well and quite honestly, we have bought some stuff online. A likes a certain jelly and the stores quit stocking it but you could still get it online so he ordered it. And there was a brand of organic pumpkin I like and I have ordered it. I see nothing wrong with it. Tell M it is "the thing" these days. There is also a new thing called "Boxes" or "Boxed" or something like that where you can order stuff in bulk. Sounds good to me. I have pretty much quit going to Sam's or Costco and buying large quantities because I don't use canned goods as much but I miss those days when you could go stock up the pantry really easily. As far as eating goes -- I was never one that could get up and eat first thing in the morning. Mama had a terrible time getting me to eat in time for school and at best it was usually only tea and toast (which is what I eat now). I got in the habit of eating breakfast trying to be an example to the kids. They don't really eat much in the morning either though and it just made a habit for me that sort of goes against my natural tendency. So, yeah, breakfast becomes a mid morning snack and if I would eat a little more, it could be lunch!

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...