Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Self Discovery

Well, well, well -- who knew that at my advanced age there would be anything left to discover about myself.  Who knew that I would be feeling challenged and energized in this time when most people are slowing down.  Who knew I would be --

A girl scout again.

Yes, I am now officially a Girl Scout co-leader.  I will be helping Bean's troop out until one of the mothers comes forward to take on the job.

How do I feel about this?  Great! I may be there a few weeks or the whole year but whatever my role is I feel good about it.  I like being around these youngsters -- they are all so smart and clever and eager.  I have had the pleasure of being included in some of the activities this year and it is fun.  I am proud of these girls and they have done so well and it will be a pleasure and privilege to see them mature and grow this next year.

Plus, I like crafting.  Camping -- well, we will talk about that later.

So, now I get to buy a shirt! Yay! I was looking for my old Girl Scout pins and my mothers pin (she was our Brownie leader) but all have gone missing.  I suspect they are pinned to my Brownie uniform which is buried deep in a trunk and will probably remain there because it is just too much of a hassle to get to the trunk.  So, a shirt and a pin.  I am excited.

Yeah, a Girl Scout -- I guess scouting is for life, isn't it?

4 comments:

Pom Pom said...

That's wonderful! Way to go, BB! You'll have so much fun! You should do a weekly post about scout-y things and give us girls some pointers from the Girl Scout Handbook!

Boyett-Brinkley said...

I just might do that, Pom Pom!

JLS Hall said...

Glad you're having a good time with your Scouts! I'm not sure why I was never a Brownie or Girl Scout. Think it had something to do with not wanting to wear a uniform. I used to hate that. Now, of course, I pretty much wear a uniform everyday anyway. So, go figure. Anyway, hope it keeps on being fun!

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Joy -- well, of course, I am only the 2nd in command-- Brianna is the actual leader which is a good thing. It is fun but it is a ton of work. I remember when Mama had our Brownie troop -- of course, it was larger and we were a bit older but she didnt enjoy it. Between absent parents, bratty girls, footing the cost of everything -- yeah, when she flew us up she didn't go with us -- she quit and so did I. I never became a Girl Scout. But, I guess I am now. It will be fine. It will be preferable for some of the mother's to come forward because I am old and can't really get down on the floor to do much but I can help. Keeps me busy. z

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...