Saturday, April 22, 2017

Temperature

My husband and I have always been a pretty good match in all areas.  I guess that is why we have stayed together for so long.  However, as we have gotten older we seem to have different ideas of temperature.  He is always cold.  I am always hot.  Now, during the day that doesn't seem to be a problem but at night....totally different story.

I have always liked comforter sets  -- you know, with the matching components but I really don't like pillow shams.  They are a nuisance.  So, three or four years ago I bought an American made heirloom bedspread.  I had two of these when I first married and I really liked them, too.

This is the exact bedspread that I bought-- a Bates-style bedspread which you can get with pillow shams or long enough to cover the pillows.  This was important because my husband is paranoid about having the pillow covered. He seems to have a "thing" about dust.

The only problem with this is that my husband wouldn't sleep under it -- he said it was too heavy even though it is one of the "lightweight" bedspreads offered.  So, he would roll it all the way down to the foot of the bed and then pile a quilt on top of him.  Sometimes two.  No, I didn't understand either.

Because he is so cold all the time we also have two cotton blankets on the bed as well.  Needless to say that I -- in my permanent hot-flash state -- was miserable and I told him we had to do something so off came the quilts and I have forced him to sleep under the blankets and the bedspread.  He has adapted.

However, I have been thinking about a down alternative comforter and a duvet cover.  I like the way Europeans use a bottom sheet and the duvet and that is all.  Simplifies bed making for sure.  However, not a problem here because our rule is the last one out is the one who makes the bed and it is NEVER me -- I am an early riser -- or at least early enough to not have to make the bed.  Haha!

So, we went looking and then I went to reading.  After reading several articles I have decided to stick with my bedspread/blanket combo. There were a lot of negative reviews of duvets and honestly, I can't imagine wrestling to get the comforter back in the duvet each time I wash the sheets.  Yeah, no.

So, I have decided to stay with what I have but I still have the problem of too-cool-hubby and too-warm-moi -- So, what did we do about that?

Since it is now early summer here in Texas (seems we didn't feel the need to do spring or winter this year) I have insisted on turning on the ceiling fan.  I woke up to find Hubs with all the layers of bedclothes pulled up to his chin.

However, he isn't complaining so I am leaving well enough alone.




2 comments:

Pom Pom said...

We have the same thing here. I like the air around me to be subzero and Bill complains if it gets too cold. I like the idea of two duvets (heavy one for him/light one for me). My mom said that in Norway they do that. I do worry about cold feet (if things aren't tucked in). I guess we just aren't tired enough and need perfect conditions! Ha ha ha!

Boyett-Brinkley said...

I like things on the cooler side and I love soft things -- like I have very puffy pillows. Hubs, on the other hand, thinks everything is supposed to be heavy, serviceable and solid. That is great until we are talking about the sofa! We bought some Amish furniture and we were able to sit on the chairs but bought the sofa without being able to give it the sit test. Big, BIG, mistake. It does sleep well but as far as sitting goes, yeah, not so much.

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...