Wednesday, May 03, 2017

May? Is This A Joke?

How could it possibly be May?  I know that time passes quickly as you get older but it seems to be going at breakneck speed for me!  Somebody posted on Facebook about how many days it is until Christmas!  No, no, make the madness stop. 

In other news, we have had two cold fronts which have make our temps cooler than they have been in a long time.  I mean turn-on-the-heater-and-grab-a-sweater cooler.  Very jolting to the system for sure.  I can handle it but somebody needs to do something about the gale force winds and the pollen swirling around our heads.  I know, complain, complain, complain -- I will try to refrain.

On the reading front I have finally finished "This Side of Paradise" by F. Scott Fitzgerald.  "Paradise" was his first work and quite notable.  I enjoyed it and thought it outstanding for a first work (many first works are quite forgettable) but I did have to read more slowly than I am used to and pay more attention to what I was reading.  It is definitely a book to be read, not glossed over.  It isn't as finessed as "Gatsby" but still quite enjoyable with it's main character, Amory Blaine, going through life's loves and losses.  I think my favorite female character was Eleanor Savage -- wild, free, lover of literature -- so different than the other female characters -- social debutantes living under the social dictates of the time. I recommend to anyone, especially somebody wanting to experience literature of a bygone era -- much different than today's offerings.

I have now picked up the first in the Cedar Cove series by Debbie Macomber -- "16 Lighthouse Road".  I rejected this series early on because it just seemed so predictable.  I even refused to watch the television program.  However, during one particularly lean tv viewing time, I did start watching on Netflix and enjoyed the series a good deal.  So, now I have picked up the book (it has been on my Nook forever).  So far, so good.  I doubt I will read the entire series at one time, I tend not to do that, but rather shift between several series that I am reading "at".  I also want to start the Hamish MacBeth series by MCBeaton.  I have listened to one or two on audio book and think I would enjoy the series.  The Agatha Raisin series and the Elm Creek series are due a revisit as well.  I see this being a "very reading summer". 

For now that is all I have.  Our little Daisies are bridging to Brownies later this month so there is a lot to do for that.  I will post pictures of the ceremony to be held on my daughter's driveway.  Hint..it will involve a real bridge.  And balloons.  And cake.  It will be glorious.

So, for now that is all.  Hopefully something exciting will happen soon -- not TOO exciting though -- I am too old for TOO exciting! Ta!  Later.

4 comments:

Pom Pom said...

Hi BB! Yes, May already! It's cold here today, too. It looks sunny but the wind is cold.
I had my bookclub today so I cleaned like crazy and now I'm pooped.
How exciting for the Daisies!

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Hi, Pom Pom! It is warm again which I am glad for. Yes, our Daisies are growing up for sure!

Frugally challenged said...

Have fun with Hamish MacBeth! I've got the first eighteen books on audiobooks They are a very easy listen but I think that maybe M C Beaton has been churning out a lot of books just a bit too quickly.

May is definitely here! Yesterday was cooler for us too. I'm hoping my holiday weather will be better.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Hi, Mary! I feel the same about Beaton yet I still enjoy her works. Such easy reads -- don't have to work at it! LOL! I hope you holiday weather is beautiful and I really look forward to photos. Have a wonderful trip!

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...