Friday, February 23, 2018

DIY Arthritis Ointment

Ok, so I have been taking Aleve which I don't want to take. I took naproxyn a long time ago for my knees and they prescribed it with caution.  Now that I can get it over the counter, it is easy to get but not any easier to take.  So, it is aspirin or nothing.  We all know that Tylenol doesn't do anything for an inflammation so I don't bother.

I have also been using all manner of topical products -- Aspercreme, Salonpas, rubbing alcohol, Absorbine Jr. -- whatever I can get my hands on.  It helps, for a little while.

So, I decided to do a little research on DIY approaches to the problem.

 I am a fan of apple cider vinegar so I studied that first.  Of course, they talk about drinking it which I have done for years.  I will be doing that again.  But....they also talked about making an ointment of it by mixing 2 tbs. vinegar with 1 tbs. coconut oil and rubbing it on and using it at night.

I made the ointment last night but it didn't mix up,  I need to heat the oil since oil and vinegar don't mix! I got it mixed up enough, however, to rub it on my knees and I went to bed.

Last night was the first night I have slept so pain free and so soundly.

I will do it again and see if it really does work but I got up this morning and, while I am still limping and all, I am not hurting as badly.

Hmmm...who knew.

2 comments:

Penhallow Street said...

Hi Melissa,

Are you still using this DIY ointment? I wondered if you have found it's continued to lessen the pain.

Bonnie

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Hi, Bonnie! Yes, I am using it. I had to melt the coconut oil to get it to emulsify with the vinegar and I poured in into one of those little pyrex dessert dishes and put it in the refrigerator. It literally pops out like a hockey puck and you can just rub it on and then rub it in. It is very cold which feels good. I was miserable this morning until I used it and took two aspirin. It helps. Nothing it going to make it go away except surgery but it is helping to make it tolerable.

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...