Saturday, February 24, 2018

This and That

It is yet another rainy day here in the Fort.  The yard at Brinkley Cottage is beginning to resemble a swamp.  The weathermen keep saying "we need the rain".  I beg to differ.  It is supposed to be gone later today.

So, since neither one of us feel like slopping around to go shopping (maybe later when it dries up a bit) we are really just messing around the house.

I am very proud of myself.  In spite of my gimpy knees, I have started walking -- or gliding -- on my Tony Little Gazelle.  I have to say, though, that it is the most boring thing on earth to do.  I have a television close by but my husband's music room is right next door and he plays lots of music which is good but doesn't alleviate the boredom and I can't watch the television with the music going.

So, the next best thing is to read.  So, upstairs I trot this morning to "walk" with Kindle in hand.  Well, the Kindle won't set on the machine so I asked my husband to solve the problem.  I was thinking of a way to tie the thing on, or a little pouch or something.  My husband is a flipping genius.  Here was his solution:



He had some blue tack sitting right there so he chunked a piece of it on the machine and voila! it held my Kindle just fine.  Brilliant.

So, I figured while I was up there I would take a few photos of my sewing area.  One of the reasons we moved here was so that I could have a sewing area and here it is:


If I ever give up sewing this would make a great reading nook
Just ignore those boxes on the shelves and the fact that I haven't hung pictures yet.  That may be what I do today.  Unpack boxes and hang pictures.

I have done a little decorating in the upstairs powder room however and here it is:




I have to hang the cross stitch yet but I thought it picked up the colors in the towels and the vase quite well.  I will take another photo when I get it hung.  I loved doing those cat cross stitch patterns.  I can't remember what they are called -- Kats by Kelly or something like that.  Great fun.

And last of all is a shot of our stairway.  It is steep and evil but it is giving me lots of exercise.  I think it might actually be helping my knees.




At the top, under that light, I am going to hang my "travel" cross stitch projects.  I have the one of the Old North Church and one of the Alamo.  I am working on the Alamo chart now and you can see it in the photo above of my sewing space.  We are going on a quick little getaway later in the spring and I have decided that my souvenirs will be books on the areas we visit and small cross stitch charts of something historic in the area.

I haven't been buying books lately.  I have been borrowing them from the library through Overdrive for my Kindle.  However, one title that is in my queue wasn't available on an e-book format so I am waiting for it to be shipped to the library close to my house.  So, in the meantime, I am reading yet another Cedar Cove installment that I downloaded on Overdrive.  BUT -- my husband wanted to go  to Half  Price Books and I picked up these two titles --


I have been wanting to read "The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper" for a while but it hasn't been available in an e-book so when I saw it I just though I would read a real physical book.  "The Girl from the Savoy" is by the same author as the book I am waiting for from the library -- "A Memory of Violets".  I started reading it a bit in the shop and it looks good so I am going to give it a go.

Now I am going to go direct the hubs to hang some pictures.  Yay!  






4 comments:

Frugally challenged said...

That sewing corner looks WONDERFUL!

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Thank you! It is nice being able to look out the window. It is also nice not having to put everything away all the time!

Penhallow Street said...

It's wonderful to have a dedicated sewing room: it makes it easier to return to a project without all the set up! Mine is a portable sewing machine that I prop up on the kitchen table each time I use it--sometimes suppers are delayed as a result ; )

Needlework is a great way to mark your travels!

Bonnie

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Bonnie -- yes, when we moved to our "old" house I thought I wouldn't mind putting the machine up and down and my husband fixed the bedroom closet so all my stuff was there but it was so inconvenient and I have always got something going -- right now it is girl scout patches -- so it is like it never gets put away. This is working well -- in spite of the stairs!

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...