Sunday, April 22, 2018

Food Journal Re-deaux

I have had a "weight problem" (real or imagined) all my life.  I had a "weight problem" when I weighed 114 lbs and was pregnant with my first child.  Why did I have this problem?  Two reasons -- an overweight father whose weight was my mother's main focus in life and a mother who was incredibly tiny, could wear anything she wanted and never had a tummy pooch in her life.

I know, I know, don't put the blame on the parents so I won't put all the blame on them -- I was also a teenager in the 60's when the gold standard for girls were people like Jean Shrimpton and Twiggy.


So, I am a grown up now and should have moved on past that, right?  Well, except that I have gone the way of most women my age and the weight has come on, seemingly overnight, and it just won't go away.  Factor in meds that make weight loss difficult and arthritis that makes exercise hard and what do you have -- I know there is a name for it.

For years I kept track of my calories and amount of food I ate.  I can't do that anymore -- just can't do it.  So, I have been practicing a method of eating called moderation -- you eat only when you are hungry, you stop when you are satisfied and you eat what you want.  I have gone a step farther and tried to not eat between meals or after dinner.  In theory this works great -- in reality though, it is easy to lose focus and forget your self imposed rules.

So, I am going to try to keep a food journal.  Not to weigh and measure all I eat and list it on a piece of paper.  More to just keep track of what I am eating and when and how I am feeling when I eat as a tool to keep me on the moderation plan.

I know how to eat healthy.  I know to stop eating when I am feeling satisfied (note: not full like OMgosh I ate the whole turkey).  I know how to make good choices over bad but when I lose focus I fall into the obvious trap of "eat whatever you want until you are satified".  That sounds great until you start talking about chocolate chip cookies.

The thing is, when I was growing up my pediatrician told my mother that all foods should be introduced and, if well tolerated, should be offered on a regular basis.  Nothing was off limits.  Not even desserts but people, use some sense, if the kid won't eat the squash, don't try to fill her up with ice cream!  Fortunately my mother employed the pedi's method and I have always eaten a wide variety of food and yes, I love ice cream!

So, the reason I want to start the food journal is to make sure I am making good choices and staying balanced.  It will also help to pull out the journal when the doctor's say "you need to try to lose some weight".  I can show them what I eat and they can figure out if maybe it is something out of my control -- like their meds!  Plus, my memory isn't so good anymore and I will be able to get a good picture of how I am taking care of myself for my own information.

And it gives me a reason to peruse pinterest for some cute journal ideas.

Do you food journal?  Does it work for you?  Is it useful or just another aggravating thing to add to the day?



2 comments:

Frugally challenged said...

Writing things down always helps with control doesn't it. It makes you accountable, even if only to yourself. I record my food very intermittently but I record my spending rigorously and I know that since I made myself accountable for every penny I've made much better spending decisions. I need to work on the food recording just as rigorously I suppose!

Boyett-Brinkley said...

I agree. Going to start a journal today. Now, I am not going to do it like I used to where I calculated every calorie that went into my mouth but rather just a list of what I eat so I can see what I am doing. I am so guilty of mindless eating -- it is in and gone before I realize I have done it. So, hoping this will help me show my doctors that I really dont overeat! I had to do this with my blood pressure as well -- taking it at home and recording it to prove to the doctors that it is only high when I am in their presence. The dr. didn't believe me until I showed him. Not sure he believed me then but....

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...