Saturday, August 11, 2018

The Nanny

Welcome to Saturday 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme! 
 
 
Saturday 9: The Nanny (1993)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This week's song is the theme from a sitcom that originally aired from 1993 to 1999. Were you a fan?  No.  I have watched it once in a while but would never seek it out.

2) The song tells us that Fran once worked in a bridal shop. Have you ever worked in a retail setting? No, but I think it would be fun.  My mom and aunt were retail ladies and they made it sound so exciting.

4) "The Nanny" is the colorful one, the one who wears red when everyone else wears tan. What color do you think you look best in? I look best in pale colors, pastels, and neutrals close to my face.  I don't look good in prints and I am trying to eliminate them from my wardrobe completely.  In slacks I prefer dark neutrals like navy and black.  I am not a beige, khaki or brown person.  When I was young and my hair was dark with a lot of auburn in it, brown worked but now since it is a lovely shade of mouse brown is a no-go.
 
 5) The TV show, The Nanny, was the brainchild of actress Fran Drescher. She got the idea while visiting her an old friend in London. Her friend's pre-teen daughter enjoyed having Fran as a confidante and shopping buddy. Do you enjoy shopping as a leisure activity? Or would you prefer to just dash into a store, grab what you need, and get out and go home?
 
Shopping is a necessary evil.  I used to love it, but  now, not so much.  I can never find what I am looking for when I go to stores so I generally shop online.  I always buy clothes online.  Recently I tried to go out and shop but it was so frustrating I swore never again.
 

6) The friend Fran was visiting in London was Twiggy, who was the world's most famous model in the 1960s. Name another famous model.
3) The kids in the Sheffield household appreciate their nanny's "joie de vivre," which is defined as "exuberant enjoy
ment of life." Are you feeling joie de vivre this morning?  Another model?  Cindy Crawford.  Joie de Vivre?  Uh, all I am feeling this morning is numb since I have been icing my knee for two hours.
 
 7) The Nanny: The Complete Series is available on DVD on Amazon. It consists of 19 discs and takes 55 hours to watch, start to finish. What TV show have you recently binge watched?  Ok, I will admit I have been binge watching "Hart of Dixie" on Netflix with Rachel Bilson and Tim Matheson.  I absolutely love it.  Four seasons with LOTS of episodes.  I am in the middle of season 2.  My husband can't wait for it to be done.

8) The Nanny theme was sung by Liz Callaway. Her father, the late John Callway, was a long-time Chicago newscaster. Have you, or has a loved one, ever been on TV?  My father was a long-time anchor for the CBS affiliate in San Antonio, Texas.  He did lots of other programming for that station as well as KLRN -- the PBS channel in San Antonio.  I was never on tv but I really wanted to dance on San Antonio's equivalent of Bandstand.  It was called Swingtime.  My mother wouldn't let me.

9) Random question -- Which of these adjectives comes closest to describing you: sexy, sophisticated or down-to-earth?  Sexy was never an adjective that I would use to describe myself and I don't think anybody else would either.  I am not sophisticated at all although I would love to be.  Down to earth, however, fits me to a T.
 

 


Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!

8 comments:

The Gal Herself said...

How cool it must have been to see your dad on TV like that.

I like how you described your mom and your aunt working retail. It does sound adventurous.

The Gal Herself said...

PS Glad you're with here at Sat. 9. Welcome!

Lori said...

I absolutely loved Hart of Dixie when it was on and was so sad when it was over! Enjoy it!
That is really cool your dad was an anchor. What a neat job, hard job too. The news they have to deliver...I couldn't do it.
I really enjoyed your answers! Have a nice weekend!

https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

zippiknits...sometimes said...

Ooooo "Hart of Dixie" is it? I'm checking that one out, too. Netflix is a little over the top for sometimes for little old ladies from a different planet like moi but it looks like fun. " My husband can't wait for it to be done." lol!

Loved your answers, and yes, I buy clothing on line now, too. I gave up years ago trying to elbow my way through the sales at Bullocks and Macy's. I can't afford full retail and that got a little hectic as I aged.

Have a lovely weekend.




JLS Hall said...

I am so sorry that your knee is still giving you trouble. Both of mine are getting very stiff these days -- I'm dreading winter, since they're always worse in the cold weather.

Hmmm. Hart of Dixie -- think I've heard of that, but never watched it. I'll have to check it out -- I really like Tim Matheson.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

My knees aren't going to ever get better unless I can manage to lose weight (the impossible dream) and exercise (yeah, right). And now, giving to the knees has whacked out both hip joints. I am a mess. And I think it has been made worse by all the rain we have been having. But, yes, check out Hart of Dixie (Netflix). It is hysterical. Now, it is placed in Alabama and generally makes fun of all the stereotypical mores of the deep south but I can identify with that even though not from the deep south -- not so different from Texas. It is great and there are enough episodes so that it doesn't go so fast -- I do binge watch things and then hate it when they are short and over ("Mum" on Britbox). Allen mumbles about it but I think he is really enjoying it.

CountryDew said...

I hope your knees are feeling better. I think it is very cool that your father was a TV anchor. I am friends with our local TV ancho and today it is much different - safety is a primary concern. He works at a station where two journalists were shot two years ago while out on a story. He gets hate mail all the time. It's become a very different world in the media, I'm afraid.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Thank you! Yes, it is a different world indeed. When my father was on tv they couldn't even so much as cough and the FCC would be after them AND nobody cared about their opinion about anything. Now, totally different story. I think if my dad were alive and still in the business he would quit just because of the way it is.

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...