Saturday, September 01, 2018


It is time for another Saturday 9!  Hop over to join Sam in the fun.

 

 

 

Thursday, August 30, 2018

She Works Hard for the Money

Welcome to Saturday 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme! 

She Works Hard for the Money (1983) 
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This song is about a woman who works hard as a waitress. What's the hardest job you've ever had?
 
The hardest job I have ever had is being a mother and a wife -- and I am still doing it.  As far as a job that I worked at outside of my home and earned money, I was a secretary to one of the assistant superintendents of a school district in my hometown.

2) The lyrics tell us she has worked at this job for 28 years. What's the longest you stayed with one employer? 
 
I was at the school job for 3 years during which time I got married, got promoted twice, got pregnant and quit for the job I am still doing.

3) Donna Summer was inspired to write this song during an awards show. She ducked into the bathroom and met the elderly ladies' room attendant, whose job it was to make sure the room the spotless, the complimentary hairspray and moisturizer was abundant, and there was a hot towel for every celebrity who used the facilities. "Wow," Donna thought, "she works hard for those tips." Who is the last person you tipped?  

It would have to be the waiter at a restaurant since I haven't had my hair professionally cut in about a year -- I know, I know,

4) Early in her career, Donna was in the touring company of the musical Hair. It played in Munich for so long that she became fluent in German. What's the longest you have ever lived away from home?
 
I have never lived away from home.  I lived in my childhood home until I married and then I lived in our home.  I lived in my hometown until the work transfer and then I moved to my current location and my family, including parents and aunt, moved with me.  I have never lived outside my home state. I am very dull and boring.

5) Sam's dad is naturally outgoing and enjoys striking up conversations with waitresses, librarians, the checker at the supermarket, etc. Sam is always polite but more private. Are you more like father or daughter?
 
I am more like Sam's father -- I never met a stranger I wouldn't talk to -- well, within reason.  I had a lovely conversation with a lady at Half Price Books the other day who sold five boxes of books for $59.  That was pretty good.  Once I sold 117 paperbacks and only got $17.  Rip off.

6) A little more than 10% of the American workforce is self-employed. Have you ever been your own boss?  
 
I am a wife and mother -- I am truly the boss of everybody.  However, JLSHall is the family matriarch and oddly, I listen to her. 
7) Labor Day weekend may offer a golden opportunity for napping and sleeping in. Do you snore?
 
Sometimes -- mostly during allergy season.

8) Will you be attending a Labor Day picnic or barbecue? 
 
No, I will be cleaning out my other house to put it on the market
9) Labor Day traditionally marks the beginning of the fall. Will you be adding any new fall clothes to your wardrobe?
 
Probably but I tend to buy season neutral clothing anyway so I wear the same thing all the time.  Looking to pick up a couple of cardigans though.  I wish I looked cute in them, like my daughter, but I really just look like an old lady in a sweater but I do find them to be comfortable.  

6 comments:

The Gal Herself said...

#4 made me smile. So often, Sat 9 and Sunday Stealing questions leave me feeling "dull and boring." I've never studied abroad, don't have any dramatic stories about avoiding an accident from behind the wheel, etc., etc. Sometimes I feel like I'm disappointing people with my boring-ness! :)

Lori said...

Hello! I think it is neat you have always lived close to family! I moved away for college, I wanted to get away from my hometown and make it on my own. I wanted to experience city life. I did, it was fine and now I am back. It was a good experience and perfect for my life at the time, but I am not sure I would want to move that far away from home now. I enjoyed your answers! Have a nice long weekend!

https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

CountryDew said...

I am dull and boring, too. I've traveled but never lived far from home.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

The Gal Herself -- I think we are our own worst critics, don't you? I don't think you are boring at all!

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Lori -- it never occurred to me to move away. I am an "only" and was very close to my family and I just never thought to venture out. If I had it to do over? No, I don't think so.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

CountryDew -- I doubt you are dull and boring. I think we can "bloom where we are planted" and have very full and enriched lives in this scenario.

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...