Tuesday, January 15, 2019

It is Finished!

I finally finished reading "Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker" by Jennifer Chiaverini.  I didn't enjoy it although it got better with the last 125 pages or so. 

It is the story of Elizabeth Keckley, modiste to Mary Todd Lincoln.  It told of her life in and out of the White House, how she was a loyal companion to Mrs. Lincoln and how her life disintegrated after her friendship with Mrs. Lincoln ceased to be.

I think I would have done better to read the book Mrs. Keckley wrote herself.

I am glad I saw it through and finished the book although I will only recommend with reservation.


2 comments:

Frugally challenged said...

This book seems to have been more of an endurance test than a pleasure. I'm glad you've finished it!

Boyett-Brinkley said...

I was a challenge for sure. There was too much "civil war" and not enough Elizabeth Keckley -- and, I am sorry to say, Mary Todd Lincoln wasn't a very interesting person. So, it is done and I have moved on to "Anne of Green Gables" with a much better beginning.

Catching up, Checkin in —

 Hi, all! Happy belated St. Patrick’s Day!  It was a lovely day here, a bit cool, but dry which is good because we have been getting a lot o...