Saturday, January 26, 2019

Hygge, Lagom and Cwtch ---oh my!

For the last two or three years people have been enchanted by the lifestyle concept of Hygge.  It is Danish in origin an embraces a cozy environment using lots of cozy linens and candles to create the correct ambiance.  The look is generally light walls, light wood, uncluttered interiors to ward off the dark of the long winters.  It is almost minimalistic.

I am not minimalistic so while I like the look, it isn't me.

The next new thing is lagom.  It is Swedish in origin an means "not too little, not too much, just enough".  That sounds more like me.  I can't be minimal because I like things around me that have meaning.  I don't like clutter, though, so this sounds like it would be more up my alley.

So, I decided to go to my own ancestral background and discover what sort of lifestyle the folks in my ancestral home (one of them) find to be appealing.

Enter "cwtch" -- rhymes with "butch".  It is Welsh for a hug and also a cubby or cubbyhole -- a cozy place, a safe place if you will.  So, when you apply this word to interior design it means cozy and warm.  There is no direct English translation for this word, by the way.

Apparently there is no one style or color scheme or plan, you simply surround yourself with what makes you feel like you are in a cozy, safe place.  One article said to include lots of family photos.  Another article said to use lots of natural colored linens, different colored woods, create a cozy reading nook, and common family eating area.

And they also said not to forget the Welsh cakes! And a Welsh dresser!

Yes, that sounds more like me -- I think my house is already "cwtch".

No comments:

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...