Sunday, August 23, 2020

Reading— Current Situation

Broken wrist equals limited activity.  The most I have done since the end of May is read and play a video game.  Things are looking up and I am gradually getting back to the usual activities like housework and cooking and the mundane things of life.  Before I broke myself I had launched a new routine that was working well for me and I am trying to get back to that routine but I don’t mind telling you that sitting for weeks on end takes its toll on strength overall so it is a slow go.  

All the sitting has just made my knees worse so I was speaking to the physical therapist about it, since the wonky left knee played a monumental role in my fall to begin with.  She looked at my knee X-ray and declared me NOT a hopeless case so she had told me to get on a routine to build up the muscles around my knees.  So I have been using my pedaler and today I began an online Pilates course that felt really good as I used to do Pilates and it is wonderful.  I also ordered an elliptical machine so I could just get some walking in.  It is too hot to walk outside and, knowing Texas, when it is cooler we might have snow.  I hate the weather in north Texas.  There, I said it.

I am still reading in addition to these other things and am currently reading “Wildwood” by Colin Meloy.  It was a gift from Bean and is a 541 page chunkster of fantasy genre.  It is an easy read and has lovely illustrations but it has a bit of a dark side as well.  There is a lot going on with a baby being stolen by crows, an army of irritated coyotes, a girl named Prue and a boy named Curtis and who know who else!  I will review when I am done.



I was perusing the recommendations on Goodreads the other day and noticed a title by one of my daughters favorite authors, Mary Downing Hahn.  The title of the book is “The Doll in the Garden A Ghost Story”.  It arrived today and I am going to crack it open in a bit.  It isn’t long so I doubt it will take me too long and I will review.



It looks like, for me, 2020 is going to be a year of reading YA and kiddie lit.  That’s ok.  They are good too and I am enjoying it.


1 comment:

Granny Marigold said...

I find quite a few YA books that are interesting, well written, and are easy and quick to read.

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...