Sunday, September 13, 2020

More of the same

 Yes, it is hard to believe that we are almost mid-way through September.  Even though September is still technically summer, I always thought of it as autumn, my favorite season.  September, however, is making me a bit melancholy this year.  Maybe it isn’t September, maybe it is the whole year.  I can’t get my head around the fact that the year is quickly passing and I have spent most of it, my 70th year, in my house.  It is downright depressing.

The wrist is getting on.  It hurts.  I have about 80 percent of my movement back and that is probably as good as it is going to get.  I have tendon damage from a previous injury around my thumb and apparently this fall and consequent break has made my thumb much worse.  I have learned that I have extensive and severe arthritis in my hand and that the break wasn’t a simple break it was a very bad break.  I think I am supposed to feel lucky to have 80 percent of my usage back.  Did I mention that it hurts?

I will probably have my last two therapy sessions this week.  I will be graduating.  I don’t know how I feel  about that.  I am tired of going for sure but not sure I need to quit.  I have bought most of the equipment that I am using in the clinic for my home so I can continue with the exercises and probably will but I feel sad that it isn’t what it used to be.  It doesn’t look right and it doesn’t feel right and it doesn’t work right and I am worried it never will.

I tried to go to Michaels to buy some artificial pumpkins today.  I went early, when it opened, but there were still quite a few people waiting to get in.  One didn’t have her mask over her nose.  I left.  I just couldn’t enjoy myself.  That is just the second time I have tried to go into a store since March.  I am beginning to find it depressing.  

How am I managing through all this?  Amazon and Animal Crossing New Horizons for my Nintendo switch.  I play video games and read books and order food online.  This has been the most unusual, disturbing, scary, boring, and depressing year I have ever lived!





1 comment:

Granny Marigold said...

I think we'd all agree that this has been a very unusual year. And it's not getting any better so far.
Sorry your wrist is not healing completely. At least you have the exercise equipment to continue therapy at home. I guess the only thing you can do is keep exercising and hope that with time your pain will become less and less. We don't heal as fast as we used to, do we!!

Update

 Yes, it has been a month — and what a month it has been.  Long story short all the grafts from my husbands bypass surgery have disappeared ...