Monday, June 15, 2009

What Dreams May Come -- Again

A previously posted, I had requested the movie "What Dreams May Come" from Netflix and when it arrived it was defective and I couldn't watch it. I returned it for a replacement which came last week. The movie was recommended to me by my son and I usually trust his judgment. I had heard conflicting reports about it being depressing and "ughy" and all sorts of things which didn't deter me but rather made me want to watch it more. So, I did. Here is my take on it.

The cinematography and special effects were outstanding. They even managed to make Robin Williams looks convincingly younger - I need to find their make up person. I have to say that Williams must have been taking his ritalin because he was CALM. I really like Robin Williams but find that his hyperactivity is sometimes a big overwhelming. That wasn't the case in this movie.

I didn't find this movie to be sad. Or depressing. I found it to be hopeful and uplifting. From the love story perspective it was a soulmate sort of thing. From the parent/child perspective it was representative of things we all have done as parents -- and children -- that we have regretted and learned from, questions about how different the outcomes would be if we had made different choices -- all that real life stuff. From a spiritual perspective I found it to be very hopeful. It was boldly religious yet I was surprised about references to non-Christian beliefs until I realized that this wasn't necessarily a movie just for Christian beliefs.

There were parts of it that I found boring. A small teaser here -- there was just too much time spent sliding around in paint! I won't say anymore, don't want to spoil it for those who may not have seen it.

I would recommend it to anybody who isn't offended by religion or anybody who isn't offended by a couple of non-Christian references.

No comments:

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...