Thursday, September 15, 2011

15 September 2011

I don't know that I have run across any new thrifty tips of my own this week except to say that I am shopping for a toaster oven and I have been looking at my crock-pot cookbooks.  I used the dishwasher a couple of times and it broke my momentum and now I have to get on track again -- my hands looked better when I hand washing the dishes -- go figure.

The one thing I did do may not qualify but here goes.  I used to get my hair done every week (isn't that what ladies of a "certain" age do?) and I started cutting back on that a year or so ago.  Then I decided to go longer between hair cuts -- not an especially good idea but an idea made worse when I decided to go back to cutting my own hair, something I did all the time, for years, when I was younger.  A little teasing and a lot of hairspray covered up many ills back in the day.  Well, I could no longer handle the situation -- for some reason my difficult, thin, dry, gray hair decided to grow -- a lot -- and long.  So, off to my stylist I went -- the same girl I have gone to for almost a decade and told her to do something different.  Brave, you say?  Well, as I am getting older and with the recent growth spurt, my attitude is -- it's only hair! So, we went through magazines, something we have never done together, and only one thing caught my eye and that is what we went with.  Next time, we will go shorter.

While I have worn my hair short for the entirety of my adult life, this is shorter.  My hair would never curl well until it was quite long and then it would curl with no abandon -- not a good thing in the 60's when girls wanted long, straight hair -- and now, with all the gray, it isn't curling at all so to keep a short, shaggy look, I had to really work at it.  Well, no more.  It is short, caters to the "straightness" and gives in to the unruly grays.  Do I like it?  Not sure -- hanging a bit long in my eyes but we will see.  Will I keep it short and straight?  Probably because at my age, I really just don't care anymore.  My time is more important to me than fretting over my hair.  Are people going to look at me strangely?  Probably, especially The Girl.

So, how does this work into my thrifty plan?  Well, after forking over the $45 (tip included) for this new do, I figure it takes no time to dry which saves on electricity and it requires much less product so I figure money saved there.  She flat ironed it -- not an attractive look on somebody with a fat roundish face so that will save money not having to run an extra appliance and I didn't use a curling iron or anything else -- just going straight.  Maybe it isn't a huge savings but it  is some and isn't that what counts.  Plus, my time.  My time is more valuable than anything else.  Plus, in the winter, I can throw a scarf over my head and not figure I am wrecking "the do".  After this horrific summer, I have no idea what the winter will be like, either -- it could be shorts weather throughout or we might be preparing for blizzards -- in either case,  my hair will work. 

No, dear blog readers, I won't be posting photos.  Just imagine Jamie Lee Curtis hair (a little longer) on Roseanne Barr and there you go! Ok, not going to win any beauty contests but I am still a fun girl and that is all I need to be!

Off to the dentist which may leave me without any hair at all! Have a wonderful day!

8 comments:

Jane and Chris said...

Buy a toaster oven! It will save money. Gill has good info on slow cookers on her Thrifty Thursday post.
I have really short hair (as you may have seen in blog photos). I do not dye my hair, it costs me $22 every four to five weeks, and in the winter I can wear a hat without too much hat hair. I love it.
Jane x

Gigi Ann said...

This is my hair management routine. I keep my hair short. However, I have to keep it permed, or I look like a witch. I get it permed, then 6 weeks later I get a hair-cut, 5 weeks later I get another perm and hair-cut. I have my appointments set up until January 2012. Then I will do my appointments for another six months. I also use to go to the beauty shop each week, but decided I could keep after my own hair between hair-cuts. It works for me, so whatever works for you, go for it.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Jane -- Yes, I am getting closer to the toaster oven and have narrowed it down -- just sort of waiting for a sale although I do have a nice coupon -- 20% off. The hair issue has been an issue for me, I just hope I can adjust to my new "look" although it isn't all that new -- thirty minutes after leaving the salon with my "old lady" do, it would fall straight leaving it not a lot different that it is now -- I just haven't wasted as much time on it.

Gigi Ann -- I used to be in such a good routine but have strayed but maybe with this new cut I will stay on top of things -- my hair does much better when I am consistent!

Angela said...

I had long hair for years - but it was getting harder to keep neat. I went for the chop in March of this year and have a one-length bob. I am much happier with the result - and my daughter trims my fringe for me between salon visits.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Angela -- I think we just get to an age where the maintenance is just too time consuming and, in my case, a real hassle trying to make my hair do something it clearly was not meant to,or refuses to do!

jlshall said...

But we want to see photos!

Yeah, I'm thinking of going really short, too. And I haven't had short hair since about 1962!

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Joy -- it isn't all that grand but it is definitely more carefree. I was going to go pixie but thought better of it so it is sort of a modified pixie -- Allen said it looked good in the back -- that should tell you something! Try short -- you would look cute!

Gill - That British Woman said...

my hair and going to hairdressers causes me so much stress. I hate the whole process of going to the hairdressers. I do agree though stretching the times between cuts.

Gill

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...