Thursday, November 03, 2011

BTT, Thirty Days of Thanks, and -- groan -- The Diet








Today's question is "All other things being equal, would you rather read a book that's hard/challenging/rewarding or light/enjoyable/easy?"

This a difficult question because I think it depends on the book.  I love historical fiction and sometimes that gets very involved and difficult to keep up with yet, in the end, it is very rewarding.  There are some days, however, where something light/easy is just what you need.  I read for entertainment and pleasure and I don't need too much of a challenge -- this isn't school, after all.

Thirty Days of Thanks

Day 3 -- I am thankful for my husband.

THE DIET

Ok, I will admit -- I have always had weight issues.  Even when I was a teenager and appeared thinner, I still had issues.  Part of it is my build -- I always tended to have longer arms and legs but my body was short and a bit squarish.  I was always envious of my mother's short, yet proportionate, stature.  I was always a bit out of kilter.  When I would  sit next to my mother, we were the same height, however, when I would stand, I was several inches taller than she, thanks to the long legs.  I always likened myself to a kiwi bird -- short, stocky build (thanks Dad) and long arms and legs (have no clue where they came from).  So, even if my weight was normal, which it was most of my life, my shape was just a bit wonky.  I was never happy, even when I was a size 5 when I was about 23.

I have gained weight twice in my life and  I have seriously dieted twice in my life and I lost the weight by portion control  and exercise.  Note to anybody who might be reading this with the same issue -- trust me, if I can do it, anybody can do it.  The first time was right after we were married -- I gained some weight not unlike the "freshman 15" but more correctly the "newlywed 20".  Well, I got a look at myself in the mirror one day and knew something needed to change so out came the calorie counter, the notebook and onto the floor I went doing the pilates routine I did in my college dance class.  I lost the 20 and a lot more.  I was pretty happy until I saw a photo  and didn't recognize myself.  My little round face bore all the signs of a raging anorexic -- so did the visibly prominent hip bones.  It didn't matter because shortly thereafter, I was pregnant and it wasn't a problem anymore.  I only gained a little with the baby and it was gone immediately.  I went home from the hospital in pre-pregnancy clothes and all was right with my world.  Four years later I delivered my second child.  I had gained too much weight, went home in maternity clothes and struggled from then on.  At one point, when the baby was about 6 months old, I had my thyroid checked, it was overactive.  The situation was never addressed and nobody ever mentioned it again.  So, I plodded along through any number of family/personal "situations" and the weight just gradually, but steadily, crept up.  About seven years ago  I read a book called "Is Your Thyroid Making You Fat".  It involves a diet of 1000 calories a day for 28 days followed by a number of calculations to determine how "under active" your thyroid is as an explanation to your weight issues.  I did it, I lost a lot of weight, I did the calculations and whoa -- my thyroid was working at 150%.  Back to the hyper business.  But, in true Melissa form, did I had to the doctor to get tested again?  Nope.  I stayed on the diet for nine months, losing a LOT of weight, until one day I decided I was hungry, actually feeling ill, and that was the end of that ball game -- not unlike the recent World Series for Texas Rangers fans.  The weight all came back on, minus about 20 pounds, and I am back to square one.  I am not happy -- actually, miserable would be a good adjective to use here. 

Fast forward to Halloween.  I dressed all in black with cat ears and a, drum roll please, tail to go to my daughters little shindig.  Well, my dear hubby seemed to have forgotten the cardinal rule of no photo taking of Moi -- future generations  will just have to be satisfied with high school photos of me.  Well, the photos were downloaded, I looked at them, and here is my summation -- Hubs needs some photography lessons, particularly in regards to lighting, and I need to lose half of me.  I was one fat cat.  So, here I go again.

I have tried getting back in the calorie counting routine any number of times, each requiring some new recording supplies -- cute notebooks, special pens -- color coded even -- an app for my nook -- I even tried Weight Watchers -- twice.  Guess I just wasn't in the mood.  Well, after the Halloween photo shoot my mind was changed so I went online trying to find some sort of easy calorie tracking program.  I thought I had tried them all but apparently not.  I ran across my fitness pal and set up an account.  It is so easy.  I have actually kept up with it for a couple of days.  It is very user friendly and straightforward.  I think I might be able to do with this program for a while.  I weighed in this morning and am down 1.5 pounds.  I don't ever intend to disclose my beginning weight -- use your imagination -- whatever a fat cat would weigh -- but I will record my loss here.  Maybe if I share it I will be more successful.  Maybe it will be like weight watchers meetings -- haha -- never would go to one of those! So, anyway, from time to time expect an update on my latest endeavor.  It shouldn't be a surprise that this would be my next step in building my new, frugal life, now should it?  I mean, it is just another  type of frugality, isn't it?  We will see how it plays out.

Ok, must go get my Thursday started.  It is cold out and quite dark even though it is after 7 a.m.   I will be glad for this weekend with the time change.  I could use a little more sleep!

2 comments:

JLS Hall said...

So when do we get to see the photos of you in the kitty costume? At least you got long legs -- I inherited my mother's short stubby limbs and I'm not happy about it!

I'll have to check out "my fitness pal" -- I could use some fitness help, too.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Uh, never. The legs aren't nearly as long as they were -- I think losing the cartilage in my knees has shortened them -- I have shrunk an inch. I have no neck anymore and I am sporting 61 year old gray Justin Bieber hair -- picture that with ears. Not great. The website is really easy to use, unlike a lot of the others and frankly, counting the calories, measuring the food and recording it is the only way I have been able to lose weight -- ever.

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...