Monday, June 10, 2013

Very Strange Day


I have spent the last nine months caring for my youngest grandchild while her mother teachers high school English.  Today is my first weekday at home and it feels very strange.  I am very used to the routine that we have developed and I miss her but it is time for her to have Mommy time.  So, what am I doing with my day, you might say.  Well, the stock answer for everything is "laundry".  Yes, I am doing laundry and, while it isn't my favorite chore, it does feel good to see the accomplishment of having the laundry pile dwindle. 

I have also taken the time to blog my book reviews before I forgot what I read and now I have taken the time, between laundry loads, to watch a couple of old movies.   I absolutely love vintage movies and watch them every time I get a chance. 

Today I viewed "Not As A Stranger" starring Frank Sinatra, Robert Mitchum and Olivia de Havilland.  It was the 1955 Stanley Kramer production based on the 1954 book by Morton Thompson.  What can I say -- what is not to like about a youngish Sinatra and Mitchum.



Now I am watching "The Miracle Worker" with Anne Bancroft and Patty Duke.  The 1962 movie, based on the 1959 play by the same name that originated as a 1957 episode on Playhouse 90.  I saw this movie when it first came out and was immediately taken with Helen Keller and did much reading on her life and her accomplishments.  Even today, when asked, I have to say that she was one of the most inspiring public figures I had ever learned about. 



So, what does my afternoon hold for me?  Hmmm...I don't know, maybe a little Sprout or Disney Channel.  I think this is going to be a bigger adjustment for me than it is for the munchkin!

3 comments:

Penhallow Street said...

I'm sure you're grandchild is missing time spent with you. You'll have to keep up with her programming so you can talk Disney next time she comes by ;)

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Penhallow Street -- I sure am missing her and oddly, the only thing I could find to watch the other night was Disney! I guess we are kindred spirits!

JC Jones said...

I have read and listened to the Hammish series out of order. It is one of the few that it did not seem to matter. Her Agatha Raisin series is different. That one I have read from the beginning and in order.

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...