Sunday, December 06, 2020

Insomnia

 Some years ago, around 1990, I began to experience raging insomnia.  I blamed it on the stress of a major move, parents in declining health, teenagers and my age of 40 years.  Lots going on that year.  As time went on things seemed to right themselves somewhat or I just quit fighting it or whatever but things got better and the situation disappeared.

Fast forward to now and the demon is rearing its ugly head once again.  Since none of the previous issues exist anymore I have been thinking about what the culprit could be.  So I did a little thinking and a little reading — funny I should mention reading—and I have come to a couple of conclusions.  

I needed a designated bedtime routine.  So I put pen to paper and planned out my time from 7 to 9 pm.  I am a morning person so I am not particularly active during the evening so I figured it was just a matter of adding in some relaxation elements.  These included a nice warm shower which I don’t usually like. I like morning showers to help loosen up the ol ’ joints. However I decided to reverse the process thinking the warmth might help the pain at night. I would also add some sort of pain reliever as well. Ok, with that all done I figured I would dive into my skin care routine which I really enjoy, complete the requisite dental regimine , put on warm jammies and head out in the back with Trixie for our last foray into the bleak wilderness of the backyard. Who knows, maybe the giant orange cat would be visiting, or the quick red fox that apparently lives under our deck.  

With all that done I spend a bit of time playing Animal Crossing which I have been doing most of the day between laundry loads and I grab my kindle to do a little more reading right after I check my email.

Light bulb moment.

After a quick google search I learned that screens should be shut down two hours before bed to reduce any interruption in sleep because all that light can mess with your mind.  Well, isn’t that dandy!  I read on my kindle before I turn out the light.  Poo.

So I shut everything gown, grabbed a physical a  book and did my evening read.  The Trixster and I went to bed and while I did have trouble falling asleep, once there I didn’t have a problem staying asleep.

And I didn’t dream about being a resident on my Animal Crossing island.  

Has anybody else had a problem with screens and sleep?  





6 comments:

Frugally challenged said...

Yes I have! I stop about an hour before bedtime and pick up my knitting needles. I knit hats for a charity and have done so many that I don't need the pattern any more. I drink very little after 7pm. Also I make sure my bedroom is VERY dark. I've put tape over the odd lights on electronic stuff and the fire alarm.
In the morning I sit in front of a daylight lamp while I drink my coffee and do my emails etc. That means I'm super awake which then means I sleep better at night.
I hate not sleeping but since I've started to take seriously both my evening and morning routines my nights have been much better. So you carry on - take note of what really works for you. And if that's two showers every day you can be a very clean girl!

Granny Marigold said...

I do have a problem of waking up around 5:30 no matter what time I go to bed. But I haven't noticed that being on my computer immediately before bed makes any difference. Normally I fall asleep within a reasonable time but wake up too darn early. In summer I make coffee and go sit on the porch but winter is a different story. I hope your new habits 'cure' your sleep problem. It's hard to function proper;y when you don't sleep well.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Oh, Mary, isn’t not sleeping the worst?!! I go to bed and fall asleep immediately and then about an hour later I wake up and I am done—all the thoughts and concerns of the day are front and center. It is just dreadful so hopefully a few changes will help.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

You know, Granny, I am like that too. I wake up at 6 am. I always have. No clock. I fall asleep about 9:30 without fail, even if I am sitting in front of the television. I just cant stay asleep. So frustrating

Pom Pom said...

I have heard that screens should be set aside two hours before bed, but I don't usually obey.
I hope you start sleeping like a baby soon!

M.K. said...

Yes - I've struggled with sleep for many years. Used to take a "sleep tab" each night (Benadryl), but I finally gave those up. Sleeping well now. I read before bed, which helps, just 5 or 10 minutes.
I tend to wake up sometime in the middle of the night (I'm a light sleeper.) So I have a sound machine - a necessity! And now, when I wake up at 1:30 or 3:30, I tell myself not to worry, just to go with the flow, lie there, and wait to fall into sleep again. I almost always do. I do NOT get a screen out then, and only read if I'm fully awake a long time.
Have you heard of 1st and 2nd sleep? Look it up. It's a real thing in human sleep patterns that we lost with electric lights that keep us up longer in the evening. For centuries, it was common for people to sleep about 4 hours or so, wake up and have a snack/walk/visit/etc., and then go back to bed till morning. Once I knew that my middle-of-night waking was normal, it helped a lot :) I hope you have found your answers!!

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...